Sunday, November 30, 2008

Grammatical Errors


I for one am raised in a household that speaks English. So I pretty much am good in English, rather strong in vocab and such. My dad is so into speaking proper English last time. But that was last time. Now, I really don't like the fact that I speak English so fluently. Too fluently actually. I want to speak Iban more fluently and know how to speak Bidayuh. Unfortunately I can't. There's no one to teach me. At home, we did try not to speak English for a day. Didn't work. We all ended up speaking English cos we were so used to it. That's why, when I'm out of the house, I prefer speaking languages other than English. At campus, I'd always try speaking Melayu Sarawak to my friends. I just don't wana sound like some American wannabe. Which I already think I sound like one. I just think it's cooler to speak our own language. It's original and it's just you, a language from where you come from. Honestly, I'm proud to be Sarawakian and I would love to be able to speak Melayu Sarawak better. Holidays just made my Melayu Sarawak tongue bad. Eeek! I don't like that. In front of my dad, I purposely spoke broken English with all the lahs and bahs and grammar that's so wrong. Ahh.....I just feel so Malaysian when I speak Manglish. I actually love it! Who cares if there's grammatical error? Manglish rocks!

No comments: