Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Dayung Sangon






What I'm wearing...


Striped shirt - Brands Outlet
Skirt - Bershka
Belt - Grandmother's
Booties - Vincci
Earrings - Gift from a friend

Today, I am fortifying my identity as a Bidayuh native. The belt shown was my grandmother's. It is part of the Bidayuh traditional wear. It's the real deal as in real brass (I think it's brass). Not the flimsy ones that you see today. I feel really blessed to actually own it. It's such a fine piece with intricate details that just exudes elegance! I thought that I was crazy to bring it to daily wear but shouldn't it be that way? To modernize it and make it relevant? This is a whole new level altogether. I only wore this to dinners but now I'm taking it out with me. This look, to me, is sexy and updated. Ideal for a modern day Dayak lady.

When putting together this outfit, I thought a nice black clutch with silver linings would be great. I'd wear this to a fashion show even. But I thought no harm in wearing it to class, minus the booties. I ended up wearing my Vans sneakers. There's no way I can survive with the booties. And then I thought of putting on a vest....



Yay or nay?

Well, I thought it looked alright. I guess it all depends whether you want to dress it up or dress it down. I really love this striped shirt. I like using it to wear with other prints. For this look, I paired stripe with paisley prints because they are totally different type of prints. Why does this work? Since I've already worn thin striped shirt, the prints on the skirt should be bigger and should not go horizontal like the stripes. I think that explains it. If you have a better explanation, feel free to comment.







2 comments:

Coffee Girl said...

Yay! Dayung sangon!

It's brass/silver (i think), my mom has an exact pair of belt, which she still uses with her sarong.

Christine Dior said...

yeehaa... i guess the only way to find out is to clean it but i kinda like the rustic look. maybe it's an alloy of the two. time for young dayak ladies to sport the look!