Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Ol' Times

WOohoo!! I'm going back to band again!! Woohoo!! Im' STOKED!!! This time as Colour Guard. Someone dancing...I know....so weird kan? Hahaha...ME.... Dancing........ But I'm more into throwing those flags. =]


Going back to school again...hahaha........that's gona be fun....and weird. Cos...every other band member will be those still schooling while I might be the only one who's not. The only alumni there.....hmm........ Kinda feel weird cos there would be no one my age to talk to but it's always refreshing to talk to people younger than you......Cos they make you feel young again. HAHAHA....... and then you'll realise you're older and wiser cos they come to you with many problems and you have a 1001 advice to give them. Hahaha....


I know it's gona be really stressful juggling between band and studies cos I'm gona start my Degree real soon...as in, NEXT WEEK!!! WOW....... I really wonder if I can cope. But.....if you were a band member and you have a chance to do it all over again, you would definitely to do at all cost.


I'm not so hard core as compared to last time. If The Cavaliers or Blue Devils win....meh, I don't care nemore. Since I'm no longer in it....it doesn't seem to make me excited anymore, for all I care. All I care is that I am in a marching band and still doing it. Anyway, watching it makes me miss being in a marching band even more! And it makes me fantasize about joining it once again. I definitely didn't want my head to be bubbled up with my imagination. Also, I don't wana watch some other team win, I want MY team to win. Well, this kinda mentality was instilled in me during Kester's era in Green Chords. I became unusually competitive.


So what's a marching band? It's kinda like a uniform body that plays an instrument. I guess that's how you categorize that. Well, what we do for every band practice is pretty much the same. We spend day up till night in school on Saturdays to practice, practice and practice. Amidst all that work, we still have a fair share of play. We have our crazy times.


A day in band practice kicks start with physical training. And this is one of my favourite. It pumps up adrenaline into every nook and cranny of your body. Physical training starts at 7.30am and can last until 9am? It varies actually.... So we're pretty fit cos physical training's very intense. It includes the usual joggings, suicides, carrying chairs over your head for 5 minutes, stretchings and loads other weird physically draining things you can think of. I hate frog jumps but it's good.


After that would be body flexibility exercises where we do exercises that helps make our body more flexible. Followed by our marching fundamentals where we learn our physically strainous marching stuff. Easy but if done over and over again, it's tiring and boring. And you'll get annoyed with people who just can't get it right.


Then comes the fun and the best part........the actual action where we start doing our formation which starts at about 10am before the sun's scorching hot.


That's part of our schedule for practice. And it goes on till night. And we do this for months to complete a 10 minute show. It is amazing how we put in a lot of time to perfect something that lasts only minutes. And those 10 minutes would be the best adrenaline pumping moment of your life cos after all those hard work, you can finally show your stuff to everyone.


That's one of the joy of marching band for me. I love being at the field doing my stuff and showing it off. It's just what I love to do - performing. To me, marching band is a place to cultivate performers and creative people. Cos on field, we can let our imagination go wild and put up crazy choreography. In a way, marching band could be a kind of performing art. Maybe it is but I just didn't know.


I love what I'm doing and I am not going let this chance go, that's for sure. =]

4 comments:

zgr3enzx93 said...

yay. welcome back christine =] -hajar-

Christine Dior said...

omg......u've been reading my blog??? o.O

yes...welcome back to me. =P

zgr3enzx93 said...

yup..haha..i very rajin read ppl's blog. but i dont blog. x)

Christine Dior said...

ohhh....eemmmm....geee.............